Recipe by JeriBinNC
Don't let the unusual combination scare you....this is delicious! Very healthy, too.
Top Review by Melissa81
This recipe was so delicious, I have made it twice in one week. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes goes beautifully with the spices of the chili. I am so excited that I love this recipe so much because when you think about the health factor, this has got to be one of the healthiest meals ever! I doubled the can tomatoes because the first time I made it, the chili came out a little dried out.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cups diced red bell peppers
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups yellow squash, diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 lime
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Saute bell pepper and onions in a small amount of broth or water over medium heat until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in spices, tomatoes, and beans and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add squash and jalapeno. Cook, covered, about 6 minutes or until squash is crisp-tender. Place one peeled, slightly mashed sweet potato on each plate. Top with chili and drizzle with freshly squeezed lime juice, if desired.