1/2 Photos of Black Bean Chili Con Carne
4 hrs 25 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
A flavorful chili from South American Food and Cooking. Prep time does not include soaking beans. Instructions from the original recipe are for cooking in the oven, but I find cooking it in a pot on the stovetop gives you a better idea of when the beans are cooked, as well as how thick or watery the stew is. This is really nice served with Creamy Rice Casserole.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups dried black beans
- 1 1/4 lbs braising steak
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 fresh green chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups beef stock
- 1 dried red chili, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 fresh red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- cilantro (garnish)
- cooked rice
- 1put the beans in a large pan. cover with cold water, bring to a boil and boil vigorously for 10 minutes. drain, tip into a bowl and cover with cold water to soak overnight.
- 2If using the oven, preheat to 300. cut the steak into small dice.
- 3heat oil in a large, flameproof casserole or stew pot.
- 4add the onion, garlic and green chile and cook gently for 5 minutes till soft.
- 5transfer to a plate.
- 6increase heat to high, add the meat to the casserole and brown on all sides, then stir in the paprika, ground cumin and ground coriander.
- 7add the tomatoes, beef stock, dried chili and hot pepper sauce.
- 8drain the beans and add them to the casserole, with enough water to cover.
- 9bring to a simmering point, cover and cook in the oven for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
- 10stir occasionally and add extra water as needed, to prevent from drying out.
- 11season with salt to taste and add the chopped red pepper.
- 12replace the lid, return to the oven and cook for about 30 minutes more, or till the meat and beans are tender.
- 13Alternate cooking method: If you don't want to use the oven, you can just put the whole thing in a large pot and simmer it on the stove for a few hours - till beef and beans are tender.
- 14sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve over cooked rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Chili Con Carne
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.8
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 64.2 mg
- Sodium 243.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 28.2 g