Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes in puree
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 5 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups cooked rice, warmed
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz.) or 1 cup monterey jack cheese (4 oz.)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add yellow onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. (Do not brown.)
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and coriander and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in canned tomatoes, beans, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until most of liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In large skillet, warm each tortilla over medium heat just until soft and flexible, about 1 minute per side.
- Spoon row of chili down center of each tortilla. Top with rice, then diced tomatoes, shredded cheese and red onion, dividing equally. Fold bottom end of tortilla partially over filling, then roll into a bundle and serve.
The spice combination was perfect. I added 1 c frozen corn to the recipe and omitted the red onion - delicious. Mixed with the chili with cottage cheese and gave it to my 1-year old and he couldn't get enough.