Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 473.18 ml water
- 473.18 ml apple juice
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh oregano leaves or 4.92 ml dried oregano leaves
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 0.59 ml ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 (226.79 g) canchopped mild green chilies, drained
- 3 (1275.72 g) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- 236.59 ml shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 236.59 ml plain fat-free yogurt
- Heat onion, water, apple juice, oregano, tomato paste, cumin, red pepper and chilies to boiling in Dutch oven; reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in beans, bell pepper and cilantro.
- Cover and simmer about 15 minutes, or until beans are hot.
- Serve with cheese and yogurt.
I made this as directed. I ate some and froze some. I just rediscovered the frozen portions in the freezer. It is delicious! Very nicely seasoned and different. I don't like food arrestingly hot with chilies, pepper etc, so if you need it really hot you can always add more heat.