Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is supposed to be a personal recipe of Andrew Zimmern, host of the TV show Bizarre Foods.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried black beans, soaked overnight in the fridge in a large pot of water
- 4 slices bacon, diced (Nueske's bacon preferred)
- 2 lbs cubed pork, cut into 1/3-inch cubes (use meat from the shoulder or the leg)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 (12 ounce) dark beer (Dos Equis preferred)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 (22 ounce) can whole tomatoes, in their own juices (use San Marzanos for this recipe)
- 4 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoons ground dried ancho chile powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons masa harina flour, mixed with 3 tbsp of water (optional)
- 1Drain and reserve the beans. Place the oil and bacon in a large pot over medium heat. Cook until bacon is becoming crispy and rendered. Add the pork and saute until browned. Add the peppers, chilies, onions, chipotles and garlic.
- 2Saute until onions are translucent, and add the dry herbs and spices. Saute for a few minutes more, being careful not to burn mixture. Add the tomatoes and, simmering, cook for several minutes, stirring.
- 3Place the beans, beer and stock into the pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook the beans until very tender for 2 hours. Stir frequently, adding more stock if needed.
- 4If you need to thicken chili because beans are done and mixture is too thin; do so with the corn masa mixture, drizzling and whisking until desired consistency is achieved. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Garnish and serve with lime wedges, minced onions, minced fresh cilantro and sour cream -- all on the side.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Chili
Serving Size: 1 (558 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 884.6
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 136.5 mg
- Sodium 569.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.7 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 68.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo