Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Recipe source: Bon Appetit (January 2009)
Make and share this Black Bean Chili recipe from Food.com.
- Grate oranges to measure 1 1/2 teaspoons.
- Juice oranges.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Stir in onions and saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and spices (chili powder - cinnamon).
- Stir in beans, tomatoes and half of the orange juice and simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Stir in orange peel and the rest of the orange juice.
- Season to taste with the hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and top with sour cream and cilantro and more hot sauce, if desired.
Delicious variation, I loved how the orange juice (from Temple Oranges) brightened this chili. DH was still debating whether this qualifies as chili because he thinks meat is required, but once he got past that misconception, he enjoyed his serving very much. The seasonings were very mild; I added 8 drops of Crystal hot sauce at first. When I added more hot sauce, I tasted too much hot sauce, not enough chili. So if your DH is hung up on a specific concept of "chili", maybe he would prefer this more with half the beans pureed as "soup". As for me, I had 3 bowls! Made for Rookie Recipe Tag.
Delicious over brown rice. I subbed part of the chili powder with chipotle powder. The orange was an inspired addition! Worked well cooking this in the crock pot on LOW for several hours being sure not to let the beans dry out. Served with a tossed salad. Thanks for posting. Reviewed for Veg Tag/April.
Easy, hearty chili. The addition of cinnamon and orange was very enjoyable. This made very generous portions; we ended up with 6 servings for us. Thanks for sharing!