This is a great, healthy, low-fat, vegetarian chile. My friend, Lauren from Alaska, made this for me, and I've been hooked on it ever since. It's easy to make and the lemon and cilantro at the end add a little special something. Plus, it's easy to adjust quantities and ingredients depending on what you have on hand. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2-1 lemon, juice of, to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro (optional)
- 4 -6 tablespoons cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon per serving (optional)
- 1In medium-sized pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- 2Saute onion, garlic, green pepper, until soft (about 3 minutes).
- 3Add tomatoes in juice, black beans, corn, and spices.
- 4Simmer 15 minutes to an hour depending on time available, but at least until heated through.
- 5Stir in lemon juice and cilantro.
- 6Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and serve.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Chili
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.8
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1016.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 9.9 g