Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great, healthy, low-fat, vegetarian chile. My friend, Lauren from Alaska, made this for me, and I've been hooked on it ever since. It's easy to make and the lemon and cilantro at the end add a little special something. Plus, it's easy to adjust quantities and ingredients depending on what you have on hand. Enjoy!
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2-1 lemon, juice of, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro (optional)
- 4 -6 tablespoons cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon per serving (optional)
- In medium-sized pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion, garlic, green pepper, until soft (about 3 minutes).
- Add tomatoes in juice, black beans, corn, and spices.
- Simmer 15 minutes to an hour depending on time available, but at least until heated through.
- Stir in lemon juice and cilantro.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and serve.