1/4 Photos of Black Bean Chilaquile
1 hr 15 mins
Chilaquile is colorful, jumping with flavor, and filling to boot! This is from the Moosewood Low Fat Favorites Cookbook!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (15 ounce can, drained)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups rinsed stemmed and chopped swiss chard or 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups crushed baked corn tortilla chips
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups prepared mexican-style salsa
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Sauté the onions in the oil for about 8 minutes, until translucent.
- 3Stir in the tomatoes, corn, black beans, lime juice, salt, and pepper and continue to sauté for another 5 to 10 minutes, until just heated through.
- 4Meanwhile, in another saucepan, blanch the greens in boiling water to cover for 1 to 3 minutes, until just wilted but still bright green.
- 5Drain immediately and set aside.
- 6Prepare an 8x8-inch casserole dish or baking pan with a very light coating of oil or cooking spray.
- 7Spread half of the crushed tortilla chips on the bottom.
- 8Spoon the sautéed vegetables over the tortilla chips and sprinkle on about two-thirds of the grated cheddar.
- 9Arrange the greens evenly over the cheese and spoon on half of the salsa.
- 10Finish with the rest of the tortilla chips and top with the remaining salsa and cheddar.
- 11Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown.
- 12Serves 4 to 6.
- 13Try serving this with a simple tossed salad, perhaps with avocado.
- 14Try Pineapple Buttermilk Sherbet for dessert.
Browse Our Top Southwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Chilaquile
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.3
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 40.3 mg
- Sodium 1355.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 18.4 g