Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
I made this casserole several nights ago and my family LOVED it. Great one dish meal that is simple to throw together - add a salad and you're done! Also reheats well - a must for me as my DH works nights and often comes home quite late looking for something to eat.
Top Review by SweetSueAl
This was very good. I also halved the recipe. I used a very chunky salsa and at first only put half a can of black beans in the mix. Then I decided, can't waste them, so I threw the rest in. This is a great worknight meal. On the table in less than an hour. I served with refried beans. Thanks for the keeper. Will make again. Sue
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (12oz)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 3/4 lb)
- 2 1⁄2 cups salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F Spray a 9"x13" pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening and combine until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add milk and mix just until ingredients are combined. Spread evenly in pan. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cup of the cheese over batter.
- In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil, stirring frequently, until done; drain. Stir in salsa and black beans; heat until hot. Spoon evenly over batter in pans to within 1/2-inch of edges.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until edges are dark golden brown. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cup of the remaining cheese over casserole. Bake 1 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cool slightly; loosen from sides of pan; cut into squares.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Increase first bake time to 25 to 30 minutes.
- You may substitue Bisquick for the bread layer if you wish -- omit first five ingredients in recipe and instead mix together 2 1/3 cups Bisquick, 1/2 cup water and 3 eggs; proceed with recipe.
- ALSO, you may substitute approximately 2 cups prepared black beans for the canned if you make your own ahead of time and freeze, as I do.