Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe was developed from the combination of several other enchilada recipes that I had found online. I made adaptions to make it has healthy as possible without sacrificing flavor.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canslight fat free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained (I use Ro-Tel brand)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup, Healthy Request
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese, I use Kranft 2%
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, diced
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees & lightly grease a 13x9" baking dish. Depending upon the size of your enchiladas, you might need an additional greased 9x9' pan.
- In a large skillet (with lid) over MED-HIGH heat, bring to boil both cans of chicken broth with 1 additional can of water, oregano, bay leaf, and chopped onion. Once mixture has come to a boil, add chicken breasts and cover. Poach chicken for 20 minutes over MED-HIGH heat, turning once half-way thru cooking.
- While chicken is poaching, in a medium size bowl mix together; rinsed black beans, RO*TEL, green chilis, cumin, cayenne pepper, and chopped cilantro. Set aside.
- Once your chicken is fully cooked, place it in a large mixing bowl. When cool enough, finely shred chicken with two forks, then add black bean mixture and toss all together. Set aside & save your cooking liquid from the chicken!
- In a small mixing bowl, add can of cream of chicken soup and whisk soup together with an equal amount of cooking liquid from your chicken breasts. Set aside.
- Pile chicken mixture into flour tortillas and roll. Line greased baking dish with enchiladas, seam side down. Pour over cream of chicken soup and top with Mexican cheese and diced green onions. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Remove foil for last 5 minutes of baking.
- I liked to serve these enchiladas topped with fresh Pico de Gallo and light sour cream.