I'm addicted to black beans so was anxious to try this recipe that I found in a Junior League cookbook. We loved it, it's an instant family favorite!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 (28 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (or more to taste)
- 2 cups medium salsa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional) or monterey jack cheese (optional)
- Simmer the chicken, onion, green pepper and garlic in the 2 tablespoons of broth in a stockpot until the chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, black beans, salt, hot sauce, salsa, chili powder and cumin; mix well and simmer 30-45 minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese, if desired.