Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another cooking class recipe. This is a lovely tortilla soup with homemade tortilla strips. The things that make this recipe a little different from the others is the tomato sauce, rice, cilantro and limes. I'm not a big cilantro fan but I loved it in this recipe. I've found that you don't have to flip the tortilla strips if you use foil on the bottom of your baking sheet. Also, the rice is partially cooked so as to not overcook the rice while simmering in the soup. Prep time is if you already have cooked chicken and rice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 -3 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced stewed tomatoes (don't drain)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups mostly cooked long-grain rice
- 4 -6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juice and zest of
- sour cream
- parmesan cheese
Toasted Tortilla Strips
- 4 -6 flour tortillas
- cooking spray or melted butter
- In a large pot, saute the olive oil, onions and garlic until the onions are transparent (about 5 minutes).
- Next, add the remaining ingredients (except for the cilantro and limes).
- Stir well and allow soup to simmer for 20-30 minutes until ready to serve. Before serving, stir in the cilantro, lime juice and zest to keep their flavors.
- Garnish with sour cream, parmesan cheese and toasted tortilla strips.
- Toasted Tortilla strips: Cut tortillas into 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Place the tortilla strips on a large baking sheet (single layered) and spray them with pan spray, or you may baste them with melted butter.
- Season with salt and pepper and place them in a 375 degree oven. Bake until golden and crisp (about 10 minutes).
- Make sure to turn strips over halfway through the baking process.
This was delicious! Some of my personal suggestions: 1) used brown rice and cooked for 20 minutes before adding to the soup 2) used boneless chicken thigh meat and poached them in chicken broth, water, salt & pepper, garlic powder and cumin for 5-7 minutes before adding to the soup, 3) would recommend briefly running the stewed tomatoes in a blender or food processor so the chunks are smaller. I used frozen corn instead of canned and forgot to add the lime and cilantro at the end ~~ will definitely remember next time. The tortilla strips were almost better than the soup! I sprayed the tortilla strips with olive oil and seasoned with seasoning salt and then baked them for 20 minutes ~~ perfect. This is a definite keeper ~ thanks for posting!
This soup was great! I halved the recipe for 4 of us and still had leftovers.
Excellent soup! I love the tortilla strips, I had dried tomato tortillas on hand and they added extra flavor. Thought this tasted like a chicken enchilada soup! Also I halved the recipe, since it was only 2 of us, but it still made ALOT of soup!! So I froze a bunch too! Next time I make this I might try to halve it even more!! Thanks for posting!