Recipe by Amanda Blue
Mexican vegetarian I first bought at the local health food coop and discovered how easy to prepare and share this casserole is so now I take it to any gathering omitting the jalapeno cheese only when there are going to be small children eating it also.It is good with just monterey jack.
- 1 onion (chopped med)
- 1 bell pepper (seeded & chopped med)
- 1 jar salsa
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- fresh cilantro ( chopped fine)
- 1 package corn tortilla, cut into quarters
- 1 package monterey jack cheese, sliced very thin (preferably with jalapeno peppers)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the chopped onion and bell pepper in a skillet in water, yes water.
- It works fine and saves some calories and by the time the water has cooked down to nothing the veggies are soft.
- Add the beans and stir, then the salsa and stir that in and finally when that has all warmed through turn off the heat and add the cilantro to the mixture.
- Place the cut up tortillas in a baking dish, pour the mixture in next and top it off with the sliced cheese Bake at 350 for about 30 min until the cheese is bubbling.
- Allow to cool somewhat, then dig in.