Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe I concocted the other night, trying to find something tasty for my roommates. It's quick and easy, and more than certainly a crowd pleaser.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can black beans
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat water to boiling and add bullion. Stir until completely dissolved and add rice. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- In a skillet, melt 1 tbl of butter and add the garlic, onion, and mixed vegetables. Add salt and pepper and heat on med-high until vegetables are hot.
- In a saucepan, melt the other 1 tbl of butter and add salt and pepper. Stir in flour, and then slowly add the milk. Cook on med-high, stirring often until sauce begins to thicken. Add cream cheese and stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Drain black beans and add to the vegetables, stir.
- When rice is done, spread it over the bottom of a 9x12 glass pan. Spread the vegetable and bean mixture over the top. Layer salsa, then cream cheese sauce, then cheese on the top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes. Serve!