Recipe by Sealy
Oprah is going vegan for 21 days and I found this on her website - I just wanted to get a few of the recipes on her site written down for future use in case they ever get taken down off her site, so here it is! Recipe is courtesy of Chef Tal Ronnen. Here is the description: "These Southwest-inspired black bean cakes are crispy on the outside, moist on the inside and perfectly seasoned. Serve them with Spanish brown rice and guacamole for a complete meal."
- 30 ounces cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine, softened (try Earth Balance brand)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs, made from wheat-free bread
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise (try Vegenaise)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 300°.
- To make the Black Bean Cakes: Place the beans on paper towels to soak up the excess moisture. Bake the beans on a cookie sheet for 20 minutes. Let cool.
- In a food processor, combine the beans, margarine, cilantro, shallots, garlic, Creole seasoning, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Form the bean mixture into patties. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry the cakes for 4 minutes, until browned and crispy, then flip and cook on the other side. Drain on paper towels. Serve with the Lime-Peppered "Mayo.".
- To make the Lime-Peppered "Mayo": Mix the vegan mayonnaise, the lime juice and the jalapeño in a bowl. Season with the salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve.