Prep 16 mins
Cook 8 mins
Hearty and delicious...crispy on the outside and cream on the inside, these patties are from Emeril Lagasse and his cookbook, Emeril 20-40-60: Fresh Food Fast.
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons creole seasoning or 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning or 2 tablespoons Emeril's Original Essence
- cilantro, avocado slices, sour cream or guacamole, optional garnish
- Cook onion with 1 tbsp olive oil in saute pan until lightly caramelized. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Allow to cool.
- Place the flourand creole seasoning in a shallow bowl and stir to mix. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mash beans with back of a fork until smooth with no beans remaining whole. Stir in cooled onion mixture, cilantro, egg, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and hot sauce. Mix well.
- Shape into 8 patties (about 1/3 cup each) and dust with flour/seasoning mixture.
- Heat remaining 6 tablespoons olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook patties until golden on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Optionally, top with cilantro, avocado slices, sour cream, or guacamole.