Hearty and delicious...crispy on the outside and cream on the inside, these patties are from Emeril Lagasse and his cookbook, Emeril 20-40-60: Fresh Food Fast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons creole seasoning or 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning or 2 tablespoons Emeril's Original Essence
- cilantro, avocado slices, sour cream or guacamole, optional garnish
- 1Cook onion with 1 tbsp olive oil in saute pan until lightly caramelized. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Allow to cool.
- 2Place the flourand creole seasoning in a shallow bowl and stir to mix. Set aside.
- 3In a bowl, mash beans with back of a fork until smooth with no beans remaining whole. Stir in cooled onion mixture, cilantro, egg, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and hot sauce. Mix well.
- 4Shape into 8 patties (about 1/3 cup each) and dust with flour/seasoning mixture.
- 5Heat remaining 6 tablespoons olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook patties until golden on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- 6Optionally, top with cilantro, avocado slices, sour cream, or guacamole.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 504.9
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 374.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.7 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 17.6 g