Recipe by Kathy228
This can be a hearty side dish or a meatless main course with a green salad and chunks of rye bread. Regular butter can be used with the same result.
Top Review by gloria goodman
I loved this recipe. I changed the ghee to one tablespoon of canola oil as ghee (which I like) contains more saturated fat. Instead of a fresh tomato I used canned diced tomato -- not the whole can of course -- I will definitely make this recipe again. Thank you.
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2⁄3 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained til water runs clear
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- plain yogurt or sour cream
- cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the first 3 ingredients until soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the rinsed and drained beans.
- Gently saute the beans with cabbage-onion mixture for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Adjust the seasonings.
- Serve over individual bowls of brown rice, top with yogurt or sour cream and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.