Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This can be a hearty side dish or a meatless main course with a green salad and chunks of rye bread. Regular butter can be used with the same result.
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2⁄3 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained til water runs clear
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- plain yogurt or sour cream
- cilantro, chopped
- Saute the first 3 ingredients until soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the rinsed and drained beans.
- Gently saute the beans with cabbage-onion mixture for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Adjust the seasonings.
- Serve over individual bowls of brown rice, top with yogurt or sour cream and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
I loved this recipe. I changed the ghee to one tablespoon of canola oil as ghee (which I like) contains more saturated fat. Instead of a fresh tomato I used canned diced tomato -- not the whole can of course -- I will definitely make this recipe again. Thank you.
This is a great recipe, easy to make and healthy too. I used two roma tomatoes instead of one medium tomato.
Had this for dinner tonight and even with the addition of coconut, it was pretty flavorless. The texture and appearance was also unappealing. The leftovers are going in the compost pail :-(