1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Wanted to make a black bean chili or soup and couldn't decide what recipe I wanted to follow so the result was a combination of several unique recipes found here on RecipeZaar. Red beans, butternut and corn is a classic combination in South American cooking. So why not black Beans instead? Adding chipotles just gives it a Tex-Mex twang. The combination of cinnamon, chipotles and barley malt syrup gives this vegan dish a spicy taste with a mildly sweet back note. (Each serving is a generous 1 1/2 cups and just 4 WW points as per the Recipe Builder. Exact portion amount will depend on how much liquid you add)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb dried black beans (prepared as stated on package)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 -4 cups vegetable broth (use water or chicken broth instead if you like)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon barley malt syrup
- 1 lb butternut squash, cubes (weight after peeling and cutting, about 2 cups)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- cilantro (to garnish) (optional)
- 1Apply a coating of cooking spray to a large soup pot. Add onions and begin to cook for 2-3 minutes until softened. If needed, add a little water to keep the pot moist. Stir in garlic and cook an additional minute. Add in the cumin, chili powder and cinnamon and cook 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- 2Add the diced tomatoes, black beans, 2 cups of vegetable broth, tomato paste chipotles, adobo sauce, and barley malt syrup and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 35 minutes. You can let this simmer for up to an hour if you like. Chili is one of those things that just gets better with time.
- 3Mix in the butternut squash. Add in additional broth if desired. (The thickness of chili is a matter of personal preference, so go according to your tastes.) Cook for 20 minutes.
- 4Mix in the frozen corn and cook 5 minutes until warmed through.
- 5Ladle into bowls, with or without rice, and garnish with cilantro.
- 6*Note:* if you do not want to make the beans from scratch, my best guess is this is about 3 (14.5 ounce) cans worth. Should you substitute canned black beans, they will most likely need less vegetable broth.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean, Butternut and Chipotle Chili
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.0
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 78.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 11.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo
barley malt syrup