Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
In ‘The Complete Southern Cookbook’ by Tammy Allgood
Make and share this Black Bean Buster Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) canroasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 lb chicken tenders, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Place the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, coriander, and garlic.
- Cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, stock, orange juice, tomato paste, and chicken.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook, 2 hours.
- Add the beans and the salt.
- Cook 10 minutes longer.
- Serve in warmed soup bowls with a garnish of fresh cilantro.