Recipe by spiritussancto
Threw this together with whatever was in the house. It worked remarkably well. Very flavourful without being overwhelming. You could probably use white or kidney beans instead of the black if you prefer. These are quite filling and hold up well enough to put on the barbecue.
- 1 cup black beans, cooked from dry (or canned beans well drained)
- 1⁄3 cup onion, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (without seeds if you're not into spice)
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 -4 drops liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon imitation bacon bits
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup Italian breadcrumbs (give or take, to make right consistency)
Directions See How It's Made
- Premince the onion, garlic, parsley, and jalapeno.
- Shred your cheese.
- Combine all ingredients, except the breadcrumbs, in a food processor or blender until as smooth as possible.
- Add breadcrumbs a spoonful at a time until you have a stiff dough-like consistency.
- Form into patties no more than 1/2" thick.
- Chill in the freezer for 20 minutes or the fridge for 1 hour or overnight. Can also be frozen with wax paper between the patties to keep them from sticking together.
- Fry in oil, or grill on the barbecue.
- Serve on split buns topped with cheese, lettuce, tomato, and whatever condiments you like.