Recipe by healthycook26
A cheap, filling vegetarian burger. I make a bunch ahead and freeze them. I like to serve them on a wheat bun with melted cheddar and sliced tomato.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
This might be a cheap & filling veggie burger, but it's also tasty, so say my vegetarian son & DIL! I did use a chunky mild salsa & left out the hot pepper sauce! Also used breadcrumbs from a multi-grain bread! They're a nice change from the usual hamburger! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup bottled chunky salsa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Reserve half a cup of the beans.
- Using fork, mash remaining beans medium bowl.
- Mix in onion, 1/2 c beans, breadcrumbs, salsa, cumin and hot pepper sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper. Using moistened hands, shape bean mixture into 4 3- to 4-inch-diameter patties.
- Cook in nonstick pan with a little oil until brown on both sides, about 5 mins per side.
- Serve on whole wheat buns with cheese.