Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My vegetarian friend made these and I got to try them. I thought they were delicious and am posting so I can make them for my family. Thanks Claire. Recipe adapted from Southern Living.
Top Review by So Cal Gal
These are the most delightful burgers--they're a snap to make, they taste great, and they're even healthy!! I first saw this recipe in The Coastal Living Cookbook*, put out by Coastal Living magazine, and have made it many times since. I usually make one third of the recipe and that makes three nice size burgers. Even my husband, a confirmed bean hater, enjoys them (smart man--lol!!). Thanks for posting this ratherbeswimmin'!!! (*Note: The Coastal Living Cookbook version lists 3/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.)
- 3 (16 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked oats
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 hamburger buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Coarsely mash the beans with a fork or potato masher.
- Mix together the mashed beans, oats, and next 5 ingredients.
- Shape mixture into 8 patties.
- Mix together the flour and cornmeal; dredge patties in flour mixture.
- Let the oil get hot in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat; cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned; drain on paper towels.
- Serve on buns ( toasted buns work well).