Prep 55 mins
Cook 10 mins
My vegetarian friend made these and I got to try them. I thought they were delicious and am posting so I can make them for my family. Thanks Claire. Recipe adapted from Southern Living.
- Coarsely mash the beans with a fork or potato masher.
- Mix together the mashed beans, oats, and next 5 ingredients.
- Shape mixture into 8 patties.
- Mix together the flour and cornmeal; dredge patties in flour mixture.
- Let the oil get hot in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat; cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned; drain on paper towels.
- Serve on buns ( toasted buns work well).
These are very tasty. DH and I are "heat wuzzies" so no jalapeno for us but a little bit of green pepper. The veggie flavors are very compatible. I singed my first try so a little bit "camping style" but we will do these again. Like someone else, I made 1/3 of the recipe since there is only two of use. Tasty and satisfying. This is a fine example of a satisfying vegetarian food that is interesting enough to eat in its own right and (no offense intended) doesn't have to settle for being a meat substitute. I had cilantro and I think it's a must in this recipe to keep the taste bud interest quotient high. Thanks, Di. You have very dependable recipes.
These are the most delightful burgers--they're a snap to make, they taste great, and they're even healthy!! I first saw this recipe in The Coastal Living Cookbook*, put out by Coastal Living magazine, and have made it many times since. I usually make one third of the recipe and that makes three nice size burgers. Even my husband, a confirmed bean hater, enjoys them (smart man--lol!!). Thanks for posting this ratherbeswimmin'!!! (*Note: The Coastal Living Cookbook version lists 3/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.)