Heather Guibault's Note:
Found on Annie's Eats (http://annies-eats.com/2011/06/22/black-bean-burgers/) and wanted to make sure I had this recipe saved. This burger is amazing with Havarti cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Hummus instead of mayo.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Combine the panko with 2 teaspoons of the olive oil and mix with a fork to blend. Add the mixture to the skillet and toast the panko, stirring frequently, until light golden brown. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- 2Place 2½ cups of the beans in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or a fork until mostly smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, 1 tablespoon of the oil, cumin, salt and cayenne. Whisk to blend. Add the egg mixture, toasted panko, the remaining ½ cup beans, bell pepper, cilantro and shallot to the bowl with the mashed beans. Stir together until evenly combined.
- 3Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions, about ½ cup each. Lightly pack into 1-inch thick patties. (At this point the patties can be covered tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 24 hours before cooking.) Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Carefully lay half of the patties in the skillet and cook until well browned on both sides, about 8-10 minutes total. Transfer the cooked burgers to a plate, tent with foil, and repeat with the remaining oil and bean patties. Serve warm.
- 4Source: slightly adapted from The America’s Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Burger
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 295.4
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 319.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 13.3 g