Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great way to get in that daily dose of protein. I found this recipe in the "Veggie Life" magazine, and I have yet to find a recipe in there that I don't like...
- 8 ounces seitan, chicken style, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) canground tomatoes, with puree
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
- Spray a medium pot with cooking spray and brown seitan over medium high heat (about 5 minutes), then set it aside.
- Add the oil, celery, onion, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme and garlic and sautee them for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture is limp and fragrant.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, mustard, honey and vinegar, bring the mixture to a boil and then allow it to simmer for about 30 minutes, adding water if neccessary to keep it from sticking and/or drying out. Stir occasionally.
- When there are 10-15 minutes left add the seitan to the mixture so it can soak up the flavor.
- In a separate bowl combine the cabbage and carrot.
- When done, put the BBQ black beans together with some of the cabbage/carrot mixture in some warm tortillas. You can also serve the beans over rice if you wish. Enjoy!
Thanks for a "something different" dinner! I ate this without any kind of bread. Just over the cabbage/carrot mix and i really enjoyed it.
Yumm, turned out great! Hubby thought that they were on the sweet side, but I liked it. Served as written with whole wheat tortillas and sredded cabbage and carrots. I resisted the urge to add shredded cheese, and I'm glad that I did because it was great just the way it was. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It's great to have an alternative to the usual way that I make burritos, which is beans, rice, and vegi meat crubles with salsa, cheese and avocado.
This sounds fantastic! I'm going to make it this weekend! Its so hard to find vegan recipes and this I'm sure is gonna be a keeper! YUM!