Recipe by She-Thing
Great way to get in that daily dose of protein. I found this recipe in the "Veggie Life" magazine, and I have yet to find a recipe in there that I don't like...
- 8 ounces seitan, chicken style, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) canground tomatoes, with puree
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a medium pot with cooking spray and brown seitan over medium high heat (about 5 minutes), then set it aside.
- Add the oil, celery, onion, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme and garlic and sautee them for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture is limp and fragrant.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, mustard, honey and vinegar, bring the mixture to a boil and then allow it to simmer for about 30 minutes, adding water if neccessary to keep it from sticking and/or drying out. Stir occasionally.
- When there are 10-15 minutes left add the seitan to the mixture so it can soak up the flavor.
- In a separate bowl combine the cabbage and carrot.
- When done, put the BBQ black beans together with some of the cabbage/carrot mixture in some warm tortillas. You can also serve the beans over rice if you wish. Enjoy!