A nice combination and nice-for-a-change side dish. It is very easy! I tried it for the first time with Lazaro, a friend who is into vegetarian dieting. Then we prepared it and it has become a much wanted dish from all! F&W Magazine. I used vegetable broth instead of water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice or 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 2 3/4 cups water (we used vegetable broth) or 2 3/4 cups vegetable broth (we used vegetable broth)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pinches ground oregano
- 1 2/3 cups drained and rinsed canned black beans (from one 15-ounce can)
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lime, quartered, for serving (optional)
- 1In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat.
- 2Add the onion & peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- 3Stir in the garlic, turmeric, cumin, 1 teaspoon of the salt, the black pepper, oregano and rice.
- 4Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- 5Add the water or broth and bay leaf; bring to a simmer.
- 6Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is done, about 20 minutes.
- 7Remove the bay leaf.
- 8In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the rice, beans, bell pepper, and tomatoes.
- 9Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt, the vinegar, and parsley.
- 10Toss gently to combine.
- 11Serve with lime wedges, if using.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black-Bean and Yellow-Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (330 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 472.6
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1125.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 12.4 g