Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another one I want to try from theppk.com...
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes (about 6 oz.)
- 1 (14 -16 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans or 2 cups drained cooked black beans, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- salt and pepper (it may not need it)
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil. Add the onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Stir in the chili powder and cook 1 minute. Add 1 cup water and sweet potato. Cover and cook until potatoes can be pierced with a sharp knife, about 10 minutes.
- Add the stewed tomatoes and beans, breaking the tomatoes up into smaller chunks with the side of the spoon. Simmer the stew uncovered over medium-low heat until the potato is very tender, about 8 minutes. To thicken the sauce slightly, mash about a quarter of the beans against the side of the pan.
- Stir in cilantro and season with Tabasco and salt and pepper (if desired).
Tasty and filling. I loved how easy this was to make as well. Instead of 1 Tbsp of chili powder, I used 1/2 Tbsp chili powder and 1/2 Tbsp cumin. The fresh cilantro is a must. I garnished with extra fresh cilantro and also some sour cream for serving. Thanx for a yummy meatless stew!