1/5 Photos of Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili (Vegetarian)
From The Great American Detox Diet by Alex Jamieson.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 lime, zest and juice of
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained (or 6 cups freshly cooked)
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional -- for garnish)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaf, washed and dried (optional -- for garnish)
- 1Warm the oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the onion, red pepper, garlic, and salt. Saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
- 2Add the sweet potato and lime zest, cook 10-15 minutes more, continuing to stir occasionally.
- 3Add the tomatoes, black beans, jalapeno, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and cocoa; bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- 4OR omit the oil, throw everything in a crock pot, and cook on high for 6 hours.
- 5Serve over brown rice with lime wedges and cilantro.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili (Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (2616 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.8
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 449.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 11.4 g