From The Great American Detox Diet by Alex Jamieson.
Make and share this Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili (Vegetarian) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 lime, zest and juice of
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained (or 6 cups freshly cooked)
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional -- for garnish)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaf, washed and dried (optional -- for garnish)
- Warm the oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the onion, red pepper, garlic, and salt. Saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and lime zest, cook 10-15 minutes more, continuing to stir occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, black beans, jalapeno, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and cocoa; bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- OR omit the oil, throw everything in a crock pot, and cook on high for 6 hours.
- Serve over brown rice with lime wedges and cilantro.