From The Great American Detox Diet by Alex Jamieson.
Make and share this Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili (Vegetarian) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 lime, zest and juice of
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained (or 6 cups freshly cooked)
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional -- for garnish)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaf, washed and dried (optional -- for garnish)
- Warm the oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the onion, red pepper, garlic, and salt. Saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and lime zest, cook 10-15 minutes more, continuing to stir occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, black beans, jalapeno, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and cocoa; bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- OR omit the oil, throw everything in a crock pot, and cook on high for 6 hours.
- Serve over brown rice with lime wedges and cilantro.
I made this last week and had it with cornbread. I was seriously looking forward to tasting it the next day. Unfortunately, later that night I was taken to the hospital in the ambulance (unrelated to the chili ;) ), and my husband finished it off before I came home! LOL Today, I am making it again and once again look forward to having it the second day. I cannot imagine that it could possibly be better than it was the first time last week, but...if it is, WOW!!! BTW, I made my own chili beans by soaking then cooking 2 cups of dry black beans. Soak overnight and cook for at least an hour with a mixture of thyme, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and salt. They really added to the wonderful taste.
AMAZING!!! LOVED IT!! My 7 year old wants it for dinner every night he announced after eating it! Mmmmmmmm Thanks for the post!
This was phenomenal! My husband, a die hard carnivore said this was one of the best meals I've ever made. I added a can of corn and a pinch of cayenne and served it with cilantro and a few slices of avocado (which was a great substitute for sour cream). This could not have been better!