Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
VERY good stuff!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium yellow pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 medium winter squash
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and yellow pepper.
- Cook until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in beans, broth, tomatoes, chilies and spices.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 10 more minutes.
- Cut squash in half and cook in microwave (face down in dish with a little bit of water in it) for about 8 minutes until tender.
- Peel squash with knife and cut into 1/2-inch chunks.
- Stir squash into soup and cook 5 more minutes.
- Serve with warm cornbread!