Recipe by ILuvRecipes
The black beans in this pie are well hidden! I used light cream cheese and fat fee sour cream. We enjoyed it with some salsa and a dollop of sour cream.
Top Review by Al Al
WOW! This was surprisingly good! I knew I would like it because of all the ingredients, but wasn't sure if it would be too "healthy-tasting" for my hubby with all those great veggies in it. However, his words were "absolutely fantastic" and "a vegetarian delight that would please anyone!" :) It truly was delicious, and I am sorry it took me so long to review this for the hidden gems contest. We liked the biscuit-y crust and the creamy filling mixed in with the beans and veggies. I didn't mash the beans very well, and used yellow pepper in place of the green... and ALAS! I realized as I was making the recipe that I was out of pine nuts--but I am sure it would have been 6 stars with the pine nuts. :) Thank you so much for taking the time to create this recipe-I will definitely be making it again.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 540 ml black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 300 g frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 125 g cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons asiago cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat Canola oil in a nonstick frypan. Add shallots, red pepper, green.
- pepper, and garlic and saute until tender -- about 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, mash black beans with a potato masher. Combine with.
- sundried tomatoes, spinach and the shallot mixture. In a separate bowl,.
- stir together cream cheese, sour cream and the spices. Add to black.
- bean mixture and stir well. Set aside.
- To make the crust, combine blour salt, baking powder, wheat germ, and 2.
- tbsp Asiago cheese.
- In another bowl, whisk the margarine, milk, lemon juice, and egg. Add.
- flour mixture and stir well. Mixture will be soft.
- Spread along the bottom and up the sides of a 10 inch glass pie plate.
- that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Carefully spread in the filling.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until crust is golden.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup grated Asiago cheese and chopped pine nuts over top of.
- pie and return to oven until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.