2 hrs 45 mins
Needed a vegetarian dish for dinner when a cousin came to town, and wanted to do a lasagna. Couldn't find exactly the right one, so adapted and came up with this from a hodge-podge of other recipes found on the web. Even the meat-eaters loved it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 vidalia onions, finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 5 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can organic crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can organic black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-fat refried black beans
Bechamel with spinach
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups skim milk, heated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, cooked, drained, with as much of the moisture squeezed out as you can
- 2 cups grated cheese, 6-cheese Italian blend
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1Heat olive oil in large sauce pan, saute onions, celery, carrots & garlic until onions are transparent. Add tomatoes & oregano. Simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Stir in both cans of beans and heat through.
- 2Make bechamel -- heat olive oil, add flour & stir until bubbly. whisk in milk, cook & stir over medium heat until boiling. add salt and set aside to cool, stirring occasionally. Once it has cooled down a bit, stir in the spinach.
- 3Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water to cool down and lay out on towel until ready to assemble lasagna.
- 4Assembly: Spray 9 X 13 pan with non-stick spray, spread 1/4 of the sauce on bottom of pan, then layer with lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the spinach-bechamel mixture, 1/3 of the remaining sauce, and 1/3 of the cheese. repeat twice.
- 5Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.
- 6Let sit about 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean and Spinach Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.3
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 19.9 mg
- Sodium 673.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 15.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomatoes with basil
low-fat refried black beans
whole wheat lasagna noodles