Recipe by flower7
Not sure where this came from originally but I made a bunch of changes; I enjoyed it so much I decided to share it here. If you can't find refried black beans, use another can of plain black beans and mash them with a potato masher or in a food processor.
Top Review by Cmjennings1590
My household really enjoyed this recipe. I made it one night when we could not decide on what kind of food we wanted and the results were great. I made it as described but I think next time, I will add more ricotta as I think the beans were a little overpowering. It is a great option for vegetarians searching for comfort food. It does definitely have more of a Mexican taste so I served it with Mexican cornbread and yellow rice.
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper (I use red or orange)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 15 ounces black beans
- 16 ounces refried black beans
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and cook noodles until al dente, according to package directions.
- While water is coming to a boil, in a small bowl, blend the ricotta, spinach, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and egg.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray or use a tsp or so of oil and heat over medium heat.
- Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic until tender.
- Add red pepper flakes if using and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in beans, refried beans, and tomato sauce and cook until heated through.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of sauce on bottom of baking dish and top with three lasagna noodles. Layer ricotta mixture, sauce and mozzarella cheese; repeat two more times, ending with cheese. Top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.