Recipe by Friends & Foodies
Black Beans and Spinach wrapped in tortilla and smothered in roasted jalapeno cream sauce
- 6 spring onions
- 100 g fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 400 g black beans, drained (240g when drained)
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the spinach into a microwaveable bowl, and heat on full until lightly wilted (mine took 50 seconds). Set aside to cool.
- Chop the spring onions into 1/2cm rounds, and combine with the drained black beans, chopped coriander, and half of the grated cheese.
- When the spinach is cool enough to handle, squeeze out any excess liquid, and add this to the filling mixture. Mix well.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a large saucepan. Whisk in the flour until lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the chicken stock and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the sour cream. Add the jalapeños and garlic powder and simmer unitl the sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
- To assemble the enchiladas, lay the tortilla on a flat surface and spoon 1/3 cup of the bean mixture in the center; sprinkle with cheese. Roll the tortilla and place seam side down onto prepared baking dish coated with 1/2 of the jalapeno cream sauce,. Repeat with remaining tortillas and bean mixture.
- Pour remainder of the jalapeño cream sauce evenly over the top. Place into oven and bake, covered, until lightly golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.