1/3 Photos of Black Bean and Smoked Sausage Soup
1 hr 15 mins
I can easily make this after work, even if I have to prep everything from scratch. The original recipe was adapted from a Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. It called for 1 lb of dried black beans but for us, canned works best on a weeknight. I've used either 2 or 3 cans of beans, it depends on how thick you like your bean soup. I think the coriander and sherry are the key to it's taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pressed or minced garlic
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb kielbasa or 1 lb smoked sausage (halved lengthwise and sliced orq uartered and sliced)
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1In a Dutch oven or 6qt stockpot saute onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic in olive oil until tender; add beans, tomatoes, chicken stock, coriander, red pepper flakes and salt (if needed); Bring to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- 2In the meantime (optional) cook sausage in a nonstick pan and drain; set aside (we like the flavor a little better that way).
- 3Add sausage& dry sherry; stir 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- 4Serve soup with sour cream, and shredded cheddar if desired; and a nice crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean and Smoked Sausage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (579 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 586.0
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 65.5 mg
- Sodium 1231.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.1 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 28.4 g