1/1 Photo of Black Bean and Roasted Red Pepper Soup
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Melinda #2's Note:
A delicious VEGAN soup, flavored with ginger and spices. You don't have to be Vegan to enjoy this soup!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 3 cups dried black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 9 cups water, filtered
- sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, Diced
- 6 slices fresh ginger, finely minced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced or 2 serrano peppers
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 red bell peppers
- 32 ounces low sodium vegetable broth (or no sodium)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely minced
- 1Place Bay Leaf, Beans and Water in a heavy pot and bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil, uncovered, 10 minutes. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Season with salt to taste and simmer about 10 minutes longer.
- 2*Lightly oil the skins of the Red Peppers. Place whole peppers over an open gas flame until the outer skin is charred black. Transfer to a paper sack, seal tightly and allow to steam about 10 minutes. Gently rub charred skin from peppers, removing all charred skin. Cut in half and remove seeds. Dice peppers.
- 3Heal oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, garlic and chiles and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and a light seasoning of salt. Simmer until tomatoes are heated through. Toss in roasted Red Peppers.
- 4When beans are completely cooked, discard bay leaves, add in the Vegetable broth, bring to a boil for a couple minutes, reduce heat to a simmer, for about 5 minutes. Stir in vegetables and simmer another minute or two. Add parsley and serve.
- 5*If you don't have a gas stove, oil the peppers, cut in half lengthwise, lay them cut side down on a baking sheet, seeds intact. Place them under a hot broiler until the skins are charred. (then steam in bag and peel).
- 6Freeze any left overs in individual serving size containers for quick and easy meals.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean and Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.0
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 11.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth