Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a wonderfully thick and spicy chili. It really warms you up on those chilly nights!
- 1 lb ground turkey (Leave this out for vegan chili, this is just as good without the turkey!)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet chili seasoning mix
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces rotel
- 8 ounces frozen corn
- 15 ounces black beans (for thicker chili, do not drain)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place corn on a cookie sheet and sprinkle lightly with olive oil.
- Bake until corn starts to brown, about ten minutes.
- In large skillet, over medium-high heat, combine ground turkey (if skipping turkey, use a little olive oil to sautee the following) chopped onion, garlic, salt, and black pepper.
- Cook until turkey no longer appears pink.
- Add seasonings, chipotle and combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add diced tomatoes, rotel, corn and black beans, stir occasionally.
- Cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes.
- Serve hot and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- *notes-You can find the chipotle in adobo sauce canned in the mexican food section of your grocer. For a milder chili only use half of a chipotle. This is also great served over rice.
I made this recipe using veggie meat instead of turkey. I used fire roasted tomatoes, added one sweet potato and half a dark beer---so delicious! We loved it.