Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell peppers or 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- In a frying pan, saute onion and bell pepper until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in beans, broth, rice, chili powder, thyme, garlic and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered until rice is done: 20 minutes for white rice, 40 for brown rice.
- Remove from heat. Remove bay leaf.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and serve.
I liked it, but I think it need a little something more. Very filling and easy to make.
I was happy with how easy and quick this recipe was to make, however, the combination of spices just didn't do it for me. I found it kind of bland. I think I was expecting something a bit spicier!
This was a fantastic dinner. It was delicious, easy to prepare, something different, and very cheap. I would strongly recommend it for any busy family on a budget, looking to add some variety to the menu.