- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell peppers or 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a frying pan, saute onion and bell pepper until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in beans, broth, rice, chili powder, thyme, garlic and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered until rice is done: 20 minutes for white rice, 40 for brown rice.
- Remove from heat. Remove bay leaf.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and serve.