Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a super yummy recipe that intrigues your taste buds with a variety of flavors which come together even better the next day. I've tweaked this recipe a bit each time I've made it. Alternatives include swapping orange juice for lime juice or green onions for red.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (1 lb) package long-grain rice (2 cups uncooked)
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring chicken broth and water to boil in heavy large saucepan.
- Add rice and bay leaves.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer rice to large bowl and fluff with fork. (If you have time, chill cooked rice overnight).
- Mix in black beans, peppers, red onion, chopped cilantro, oil, lime juice, vinegar, cumin and chili powder.
- Season salad to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate. Serve chilled.
Loved it! I used it as a side dish and it worked perfectly. I subbed parsley for the cilantro but otherwise made as posted. I'll be using this quite a bit. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2009.
I wanted something easy that would use up stuff I had on hand. This fit the bill, and is very tasty. I added a handful of corn kernels and one jalapeno (seeds removed, finely chopped). I omitted the salt and didn't miss it at all!
I was looking for a new lunch meal which I could make and refrigerate for a few days. Black Bean and Rice Confetti Salad filled the bill. I had to use lemon juice as I had no lime juice and also used basil with no cilantro in the house. I added a few sliced black olives and a cup of corn. It looked great, tasted better and it's nice knowing I don't have to prepare lunch tomorrow or the next day.