Great blend of pumpkin and black beans - the pumpkin is not overwhelming and the spices are well balanced.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock, found on soup aisle
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1.5 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1.5 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin puree (found often on the baking aisle)
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, 1 palm full
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1/2 palm full
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, eyeball it in the palm of your hand
- coarse salt
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat. Add oil.
- When oil is hot, add onion. Saute onions 5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, black beans and pumpkin puree. Stir to combine ingredients and bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir in cream, curry, cumin, cayenne and salt, to taste.
- Simmer 5 minutes, adjust seasonings and serve garnished with chopped chives.