A wonderful recipe from my favorite cookbook author, Barbara Kafka. Easy but so "gourmet". I love this. To make this soup even easier, you can use store bought pesto with the canned beans and skip to step 6, combining pureed beans with your store bought pesto.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried black beans (soaked according to package directions) or 6 cups canned black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 bunches fresh basil, large, leaves only, washed well
- 6 garlic cloves, medium, smashed and peeled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth or 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped, for serving
- 1~~If using dried beans,~~ in a medium saucepan, combine the beans with water to cover by 2 inches.
- 2Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour or until the beans are very soft and beginning to burst.
- 3Remove from heat.
- 4In a blender, puree the basil, garlic and 1/4 cup olive oil.
- 5In a food processor, working in batches if necessary, puree the cooked beans with their liquid (about 3 cups), or ~~ if using canned beans~~, puree with the 3 1/2 cups broth, stock or water.
- 6Scrape back into the saucepan (or canned beans, scrape into medium saucepan) and stir in the pesto and salt.
- 7Heat through.
- 8Swirl in the remaining olive oil.
- 9Top each serving with a little chopped basil.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean and Pistou Soup Kafka
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 423.1
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1167.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 16.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: