Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
This recipe is amazing! I promise you will not miss the meat!
Make and share this Black Bean and Pepperjack Burgers recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt
- 2 ounces finely grated monterey jack pepper cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1 large scallion, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ut the oats in a food processor and pulse three times to roughly chop. Add half of the beans and pulse into a coarse paste, about 6 pulses. Add the egg, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoons salt and process to mix well, about 1 minute. Transfer the bean mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the remaining beans, the cheese, scallion, and cilantro.
- With wet hands, form the bean mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties and transfer to a lightly oiled plate. Refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes to let the burgers set up.
- Heat a large heavy-duty skillet (preferably cast iron) on high heat until very hot; add the oil and swirl the pan to coat the bottom. Cook the burgers until browned, with a good crust, 2 to 3 minutes; then carefully flip and cook, flipping again if necessary, until the burgers feel firm when pressed with a fingertip, another 3 to 5 minutes. Serve the burgers in the buns, topped with the salsa and avocado.