Recipe by Happy Harry #2
Was going to make a Hoppin' John soup but the pantry was empty of black-eyed peas so made this instead. I was pleased with the results but my "boys" (students) thought it lacked spice and added hot sauce.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion (chopped)
- 3 scallions, chopped (all of it)
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced (1 large knob )
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups canned black beans, rinsed
- 8 ounces frozen chopped spinach (don't need to thaw)
- 8 cups vegetable broth (if store bought, leave out sea salt)
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- .Heat oil over med-high heat in large soup pot.
- Add the next nine ingredients (include salt, if using).
- Stir fry until onion is soft. Stir frequently.
- Add black beans, spinach, and broth.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer, stir and cover.
- Simmer about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When serving, drizzle some half "n" half over soup, if desired.
- I served pita halfs stuffed with lettuce, tomato, and pepperjack cheese with this for a complete meal. I can also see some cooked rice added for a heartier meal.