1/3 Photos of Black Bean and Olive Soup
4 hrs 30 mins
This is a good dish to make the day before you need it, as it tastes better the longer it sits. A variation of a typical Cuban dish from the "Caribbean Light" cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 ounces dried black beans
- 7 cups water
- 1 -2 tablespoon water (if needed)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, plus two tablespoons brine (Spanish olives)
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Rinse and drain the beans. In an 8-quart saucepan with a lid, bring the beans and 7 cups of water to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let it sit for 1 hour. (The dish may be prepared in advance up to this point.).
- 2To continue, add the chicken broth to the pan, cover and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and keep at a full simmer for approximately 3 hours, or until the beans are tender.
- 3While the beans are cooking, start the sofrito by heating the oil in a large skillet. Add all the remaining ingredients. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour, until the mixture is very soft. Don't brown this, but slowly cook it down into a soft mush, adjusting the heat as needed. Add a tablespoon or two of water if the mixture starts to stick.
- 4When the beans and sofrito are done, stir the sofrito into the beans. Scoop out 1 cup, and puree in a blender. Return the puree to the pan, cover, and, over low heat, cook an additional 30 minutes.
- 5Stir in the vinegar 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean and Olive Soup
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 189.1
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 92.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pimento-stuffed green olives