1/9 Photos of Black Bean and Millet Salad
Millet a wonderful grain,that most think of as bird food. Millet is highly nutritious, non-glutinous and like buckwheat and quinoa, is not an acid forming food so is soothing and easy to digest. In fact, it is considered to be one of the least allergenic and most digestible grains available and it is a warming grain so will help to heat the body in cold or rainy seasons and climates. Millet is mildly sweet, nut-like flavor and contains many beneficial nutrients. It is nearly 15% protein, contains high amounts of fiber, B-complex vitamins including niacin, thiamin, and riboflavin, the essential amino acid methionine, lecithin, and some vitamin E. It is high in the minerals iron, magnesium, phosphorous, and potassium. So eat your millet! The seeds are also rich in phytochemicals, including Phytic acid, which is believed to lower cholesterol, and Phytate, which is associated with reduced cancer risk.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup millet, well rinsed uncooked
- 2 1/2-3 cups water
- 2 cups canned low sodium black beans
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, seeds removed and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- chopped parsley (optional)
- chopped cilantro, to taste (optional)
- 1Cook the millet in 2 cups of water until water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. adding more hot water if needed. Fluff with fork and allow to steam and cool.
- 2In a large bowl, combine millet, black beans, tomatoes, pepper, cucumber and onion.
- 3Mix all dressing ingredients until well blended and pour over the salad, tossing to blend.
- 4Cover and refrigerate until the salad is well chilled.
- 5Serve on lettuce leaves or stuff into pita bread or wrap in a tortilla.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean and Millet Salad
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.4
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 10.1 g