Recipe by Rita~
Millet a wonderful grain,that most think of as bird food. Millet is highly nutritious, non-glutinous and like buckwheat and quinoa, is not an acid forming food so is soothing and easy to digest. In fact, it is considered to be one of the least allergenic and most digestible grains available and it is a warming grain so will help to heat the body in cold or rainy seasons and climates. Millet is mildly sweet, nut-like flavor and contains many beneficial nutrients. It is nearly 15% protein, contains high amounts of fiber, B-complex vitamins including niacin, thiamin, and riboflavin, the essential amino acid methionine, lecithin, and some vitamin E. It is high in the minerals iron, magnesium, phosphorous, and potassium. So eat your millet! The seeds are also rich in phytochemicals, including Phytic acid, which is believed to lower cholesterol, and Phytate, which is associated with reduced cancer risk.
Top Review by Miracle Miriam
I too substituted olive oil for the water in the dressing. This was a great summer meal for hot days when you don't want to add heat to the house. I used my rice maker to cook the millet. DH commented that this was a substantial meal. He expected it not to be filling, but it was, all by itself.
- 1 cup millet, well rinsed uncooked
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups water
- 2 cups canned low sodium black beans
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, seeds removed and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- chopped parsley (optional)
- chopped cilantro, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the millet in 2 cups of water until water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. adding more hot water if needed. Fluff with fork and allow to steam and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine millet, black beans, tomatoes, pepper, cucumber and onion.
- Mix all dressing ingredients until well blended and pour over the salad, tossing to blend.
- Cover and refrigerate until the salad is well chilled.
- Serve on lettuce leaves or stuff into pita bread or wrap in a tortilla.