1/4 Photos of Black Bean and Couscous Salad
Muffin Goddess's Note:
I found this one on allrecipes and tweaked it a bit. It's a wonderful salad for a cookout or potluck, and leftovers keep well (it makes quite a large batch). Don't let the long ingredient list scare you off, it's actually very simple to make. For any ingredients with a range of amounts, the least amount is what I like to use, the greatest amount is what the original recipe calls for. This is a vegan-friendly recipe if veggie broth is substituted for chicken broth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth or 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 -8 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup corn kernel (fresh is best, but use what you have on hand)
- 1 (15 -30 ounce) can black beans, drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope goya salad and veggie seasoning (optional)
- 1Bring broth to a boil in a 2-quart or larger saucepan and stir in the couscous.
- 2Cover and remove from heat.
- 3Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- 4In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, cumin, and Goya seasoning (if using).
- 5Add green onions, carrot, red and jalapeno peppers, corn, cilantro, and beans.
- 6Toss to coat.
- 7Fluff the couscous with a fork.
- 8Add to the veggie mixture, and mix well.
- 9Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 10Can be served immediately, or may be chilled first.
- 11For vegetarians use the vegetable broth.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean and Couscous Salad
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.1
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 128.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 8.6 g