Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
I found this one on allrecipes and tweaked it a bit. It's a wonderful salad for a cookout or potluck, and leftovers keep well (it makes quite a large batch). Don't let the long ingredient list scare you off, it's actually very simple to make. For any ingredients with a range of amounts, the least amount is what I like to use, the greatest amount is what the original recipe calls for. This is a vegan-friendly recipe if veggie broth is substituted for chicken broth.
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth or 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 -8 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup corn kernel (fresh is best, but use what you have on hand)
- 1 (15 -30 ounce) can black beans, drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelopegoya salad and veggie seasoning (optional)
- Bring broth to a boil in a 2-quart or larger saucepan and stir in the couscous.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, cumin, and Goya seasoning (if using).
- Add green onions, carrot, red and jalapeno peppers, corn, cilantro, and beans.
- Toss to coat.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork.
- Add to the veggie mixture, and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Can be served immediately, or may be chilled first.
- For vegetarians use the vegetable broth.
Every one in my family gave this either 4 or 5 stars! Something we all like is a rare find. Something we all like that is also quick and easy to make? Well, that never happens!! We WILL be making this again, I couldn't leave it alone!
I took this to a BBQ on a hot day, and was really happy to have a salad with no mayo to spoil in the heat! I loved everything that was in it, but would have liked a bit more dressing to spread the flavor over the veggies and pasta. Also, I added about a teaspoon of salt before serving. Made for ZWT8.
Made exactly as written and was very pleased with the final result. I also felt very healthy eating it (with no guilt)! Made for ZWT5.