Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Pillsbury's Fast and Healthy cookbook. This is an easy but yummy soup recipe that kids love. Give it a try!
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- Spray dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add ground beef; cook over med high heat until browned.
- Drain on paper towels and return to dutch oven.
- Add all remaining ingredients, mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors.
This recipe was HORRIBLE. Unless you majorly doctor it up you will be majorly disappointed.
I thought this recipe was fabulous. I've made it twice now, each slightly different based on ingredients on hand. The first time I used 1 lb of lean ground beef, 1 can of niblets, 1 can of rotel tomatoes & green chilis (undrained) for spiciness, 1 can of diced tomatoes (undrained), 3 cans of black beans, 2 tbps of minced garlic, 3 tsp of cumin and 4 tsp of chili powder. I only added 8oz of beef broth because of the extra juice added by the can of Rotel tomatoes & green chilis. I also added kosher salt to taste. I also wanted to mention that I didn't drain the beef. Since I was using lean beef to start, I like to leave a little flavor in the small amount of beef fat simmered off. If I was using 80/20 I would have drained the beef for sure. I'm a seasoning buff, so I inevitably add garlic to almost any recipe, and up the seasoning amounts. It was AWESOME! I added a dash of sour cream to my finished soup to add a touch of coolness to the spice, made cornbread muffins on the side, and went to town. :P Thanks for such a wonderful, fast recipe that can be so easily manipulated to taste!
I used MSF veggie crumbles instead of ground beef, it was great! DH sprinkled some shredded cheddar on top too and loved it. Thanks for this quick, healthy dinner!