1/1 Photo of Black Bean and Corn Salad With Homemade Tortilla Chips
This recipe is MUCH simpler than it sounds! It's very tasty and light. Originally, I came across this recipe on the WCHS NEWS web site, on which they said it was from a book by Bridgett Swinney (Copyright 1993 by Fall Rivers Press) called Eating Expectantly: The Essential Eating Guide and Cookbook For Pregnancy. It also doubles as a low-fat and generally healthy-eating recipe. I made some adjustments to the recipe myself, but I will post the original recipe and add my own personal suggestions here. I added 1/3 c. minced bell pepper, and 1/2 small jalapeño pepper, minced. I'd also recommend reducing the cooking time for the tortillas to 8 minutes per side, mine over-baked at 20 minutes. Also, I wouldn't personally recommend using the yogurt sauce as a dip for the tortillas, it's too spicy because of the cumin. It is VERY good as a dressing on the salad, though. I also served each with 4 eighths tomato instead of 2 quarters. The jalapeño won't add much (if any) heat, but it seems to eliminate or at least reduce the gastric distress suffered during the digestion of beans. Might as well stop a problem before it starts :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing (I used regular)
- 6 corn tortillas (More than that will be hard to fit onto one cookie sheet.)
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese or 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt (Fat-free alternative to sour cream)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tomatoes
- 4 cups romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup minced bell pepper
- 1/2 small jalapeno, minced (more to taste)
- 1Mix corn, beans and dressing in container with lid.
- 2Marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 4Cut each corn tortilla into 6 triangular pieces and bake on cookie sheet for 20 to 30 minutes, turning once (I recommend 8 minutes per side).
- 5Spoon bean and corn mixture over lettuce.
- 6Sprinkle 1 ounce of shredded cheese on each serving.
- 7Garnish with 2 quarters (4 eighths) tomato.
- 8Mix yogurt, cumin and garlic powder.
- 9Serve with yogurt sauce and warm tortilla chips.
- 10(Tabasco and crushed red pepper flakes also make nice condiments for this dish). Enjoy.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean and Corn Salad With Homemade Tortilla Chips
Serving Size: 1 (434 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.3
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 17.0 mg
- Sodium 937.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.3 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 22.8 g