1/2 Photos of Black Bean and Chocolate Chili
Kozmic Blues's Note:
I know the title seems somewhat bizarre, but the slight "hint" of semi-sweet chocolate gives this vegetarian chili a real depth of flavor. It reminds me somewhat of a sweet, yet spicy mole sauce. This recipe was adapted from one I found in the "Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates" cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 -2 jalapeno chile, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped bell peppers (red and green are nice)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate (about 1/4 cup)
- vegan cheddar cheese or tofu sour cream or scallion, for serving
- 1In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions become soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add the celery and chile, cover and cook for another five minutes more.
- 3Reduce the heat and stir in spices, (cumin, oregano, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, chili powder, black pepper, salt) along with the bell peppers. Cover again and cook for another five minutes. Stir often to keep the spices from burning. If the pan gets too dry add a little liquid from the diced tomatoes, or some water.
- 4Next, add the black beans, tomatoes, lime juice (if using) and soy sauce. Let the chili simmer on low for 5 to 10 minutes, until it thickens slightly and flavors combine.
- 5Stir in the chocolate. When chocolate has melted, taste to adjust the salt and pepper. Serve with topping of your choice. I like a bit of vegan cheese, sour "cream" and scallions.
- 6Chili can also makes a great filling to serve wrapped in flour tortillas, or in taco shells if you prefer.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean and Chocolate Chili
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.1
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 299.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 9.0 g